Dr. Schultzel received his medical degree at UC San Diego and completed residency at UMKC. He completed a shoulder and elbow surgery fellowship at the prestigious Kerlan Jobe Orthopedic Clinic.
He is a respected expert in disorders of the shoulder and elbow, ranging from arthroplasty and sports injuries to fracture care. He has extensive experience in arthroscopic surgery and in shoulder arthroplasty and is one of the few surgeons in San Diego to be a member of the American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons (ASES). Dr. Schultzel has published extensively in major medical journals on topics in shoulder and elbow surgery and general orthopedics, and has been an invited speaker to both national and international conferences. He is also a member of the American Orthopedic Association (AOA) honor society.
Dr. Schultzel volunteers with the US Olympic Committee and USA Kendo as a sports medicine physician, and also provides mentorship to numerous college students, medical students, and residents in the San Diego community. In his spare time, he enjoys kendo and scuba diving.
Despite his small-town upbringing, extensive international travel throughout Dr. Schultzel’s growing years brought opportunities for unique learning experiences and expanded his worldview. It has shaped his character and contributed to his understanding of patients from all walks of life. Being multilingual and understanding others’ cultures has taught him how better to empathize with patients and to create a more trusting doctor-patient relationship. His care philosophy is to treat patients with compassion and empathy, as if they were family, and to employ evidence-based medicine and a team-based approach to cutting-edge surgical care.
- Fellowship: Shoulder and Elbow Surgery – Kerlan Jobe Orthopedic Clinic (2015-2016)
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency – University of Missouri, Kansas City (2010-2015)
- Surgical Internship – University of California, San Diego (2009-2010)
- Medical School – University of California, San Diego (2005-2009)
- Undergraduate – University of California, San Diego (2001-2005)
- Bachelors of Science – General Biology
- Bachelors of Arts – Psychology
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Magna Cum Laude
- Shoulder and Elbow Arthroplasty
- Shoulder and Elbow Arthroscopy
- Shoulder and Elbow Instability Procedures (Tommy John, Latarjet, etc.)
- Shoulder and Elbow Fracture Care
- Sports Injury Care
- Carpal and Cubital Tunnel Syndrome Treatment
- General Orthopedics and Fracture Care
- Sharp Memorial Hospital
- Scripps Memorial La Jolla Hospital
- Sharp Grossmont Hospital
- Sharp Coronado Hospital
- Sharp Chula Vista Hospital
- Palomar Hospital
- North County Surgical Center
Licensures & Certifications
- Medical Board of California
- Qualified Medical Examiner
- American Board of Orthopedic Surgery – Board Eligible
Memberships & Affiliations
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgery
- American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons
- American Orthopedic Association
- California Orthopedic Association
- San Diego County Medical Society
- American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS)
- Emerging Professionals Committee
- Shoulder and Elbow Academic Committee
- (formerly) Executive Committee – Member At Large
- (formerly) Resident Assembly
- American Shoulder and Elbow Surgeons (ASES)
- International Fellowship Committee
- American Orthopedic Association (AOA)
- Social Media Advisory Committee
- Shoulder Dislocations. Kaiser Permanente San Diego Emergency Medicine Grand Rounds, San Diego, CA, July 11, 2019
- Diagnosis and Treatment of Compartment Syndrome. Kaiser Permanente San Diego Emergency Medicine Grand Rounds, San Diego, CA, July 11, 2019
- ORIF Proximal Humerus Fractures. Kerlan Jobe Orthopedic Clinic/Kerlan Jobe Institute Grand Rounds, Los Angeles, CA, November 18, 2015.
- Sports Injuries in Kendo: Prevention and Treatment. SCKF Annual Planning Meeting, Torrance, CA, August 13, 2016
- Rehabilitation Modalities for Recovery from Proximal Humerus Fracture Fixation and Arthroplasty. Adventist Health Centers PT/OT Grand Rounds, Los Angeles, CA, July 15, 2015.
- The Incidence of Injuries in Kendo. Rex L. Diveley Research Lectureship, Kansas City, MO April 2015.
- Brachial Plexus Injuries and Abnormal Shoulder Development. Children’s Mercy Lillian Diveley Lectureship, Kansas City, MO, November, 2012.
- Preventing Injuries in Kendo: Pathways to Training Smarter. AUSKF Annual Planning Meeting, Los Angeles, CA, October 22, 2016
- Open Superior Capsular Reconstruction with Lat Dorsi Transfer: 2 year results. Orthopedic Surgery Controversies (Nottage Course). Dana Point, CA, January 22, 2016.
- Non-reproducible Results: Interposition “Conservative” Procedures. Orthopedic Surgery Controversies (Nottage Course). Dana Point, CA, January 22, 2016.
- Pre-op and Post-op ROM for Arthroplasty and Changes in Outcome. Orthopedic Surgery Controversies (Nottage Course). Dana Point, CA, January 22, 2016.
- Painful Arthroplasty Cases. Orthopedic Surgery Controversies (Nottage Course). Dana Point, CA, January 22, 2016.
- Role for Transfers: Pectoralis, Lat Dorsi. Orthopedic Surgery Controversies (Nottage Course). Dana Point, CA, January 22, 2016.
- Nightmare Cases: Malunion-Nonunion Proximal Humerus Fracture. Orthopedic Surgery Controversies (Nottage Course). Dana Point, CA, January 22, 2016.
- Complications of AC Joint Reconstruction. Orthopedic Surgery Controversies (Nottage Course). Dana Point, CA, January 23, 2016.
- Management of Shoulder Trauma in Baseball Players. Injury Prevention and Treatment Techniques Baseball Medicine Conference. Los Angeles, CA, November 21, 2015.
- Standard, Short Stem, and Stemless Arthroplasty, Why and When? Advanced Concepts in Sports Medicine and Orthopedic Surgery, Foundation for Orthopedic Research and Education, Las Vegas, NV, November 8, 2015
- Revision Reverse Total Shoulder Arthroplasty, Advanced Concepts in Sports Medicine and Orthopedic Surgery, Foundation for Orthopedic Research and Education, Las Vegas, NV, November 8, 2015
- Superior Capsular Reconstruction with Latissimus Transfer, Advanced Concepts in Sports Medicine and Orthopedic Surgery, Foundation for Orthopedic Research and Education, Las Vegas, NV, November 7, 2015
- The Prevalence of Psychological Distress in Head and Neck Cancer Patients. American Geriatric Society. San Diego, March 2006
- Pain Control in the Orthopedic Surgery Patient. Japanese Society of Anesthesiology Winter Seminar, Sapporo, Japan. February 9-11, 2018.
- Pearls and Pitfalls in Reverse Shoulder Replacement. Japanese Orthopedic Association Winter Meeting, Sapporo, Japan. February 11, 2018.
- Metal Allergies in Orthopedic Surgery Patient. Japanese Orthopedic Association Winter Meeting, Sapporo, Japan. February 11, 2018.
- AC Joint Dislocations: To Fix or Not to Fix. Acumed Asia-Pacific Bioskills Course. Tokyo, Japan. November 4-5, 2016.
- Humeral Shaft Fractures. Acumed Asia-Pacific Bioskills Course. Tokyo, Japan. November 4-5, 2016.
- Proximal Humerus Fractures. Acumed Asia-Pacific Bioskills Course. Tokyo, Japan. November 4-5, 2016.
- Sports Injuries in Kendo Athletes. All Japan Kendo Championships. Tokyo, Japan. November 3, 2016.
- Reverse Total Shoulder Arthroplasty Techniques. Teikyo Medical University Visiting Grand Rounds. Tokyo, Japan, May 5-8, 2014.
- American v. Japanese Medical Practice. Dokkyo/Teikyo Medical Universities Visiting Lectureships: Tochigi, Japan, May 2015, 2010.
- The Practice of Medicine in America. Dokkyo Medical University Visiting Lectureship: Tochigi, Japan, May 2009.
Schultzel M., Klein C., Demirjian M., Blount C., Itamura J.M.
Incidence of Metal Hypersensitivity Orthopedic Surgery Patients Who Self-Report
(Accepted into The Permanente Journal July 7, 2019)
Scheidt K., Schultzel M., Itamura J.M.
Does metal allergy have relevance in patients undergoing arthroplasty—an electronic survey of surgeon attitudes.
Annals of Joint [Online], 4 (2019): Web. 18 Jul. 2019
Singh A., Schultzel M., Cafri G., Yian E., Dillon M., Navarro R.
Risk Factors for Mortality and Readmission Following Hemiarthroplasty for Proximal Humerus Fracture.
Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Arthroplasty (3): 1-6. January 2019.
Singh, A., Schultzel M., Fleming J., Navarro R.
Complications after Surgical Treatment of Distal Clavicle Fractures
Orthop Traumatol Surg Res. 2019 Jun 12. pii: S1877-0568(19)30130-6.
Van Eck C., Klein CM, Rahmi H, Scheidt K, Schultzel M, Lee BK, Itamura JM.
Morbidity, Mortality and Cost of Osteoporotic Fractures – Should Proximal Humerus Fractures be taken as Seriously as Hip Fractures?
Annals of Joint. 4:3, January 2019.
Schultzel M. Klein C.M.., Hay D.C., Itamura J.
Sub-Acute Brachial Plexus Injuries in Mid-shaft Clavicle Fractures
Scientific Pages Orthop Rheumatism 2017, 1(1):3-7. March 2017.
Schultzel M, Scheidt K., Klein C., Narvy S., Argintar E., Itamura J.M.
Elbow Hemiarthroplasty: Mid-term follow-up results
Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery 26(3): 389–393, March 2017.
Schultzel M., Schultzel M., Wentz B., Bernhardt, M.
The Prevalence of Injury in Kendo.
The Physician and Sportsmedicine 11(1): 1-5, Nov 2015.
Schultzel M., Johnson M.H., Rosenthal H.G.
Bilateral deltoid myositis ossificans in a weightlifter using anabolic steroids.
Orthopedics. 37(9):e844-7. Sep 2014.
Schultzel M., Weisman M., Loscalzo M., Sadler G.
The Risk Factors Associated with Psychological Distress in Patients with Head and
JAMA Archives of Otolaryngology. 132(8): 874-875, Aug 2006
von Rozycki T., Schultzel M., Saier MH Jr.
Sequence analyses of cyanobacterial bicarbonate transporters and their homologues.
J Mol Microbiol BioTechnol 7(3):102-8, 2004.
Schultzel, M., Itamura, J.
Technique pearls for revision shoulder arthroplasty aid in preventing fracture, preserving bone stock.
Orthopedics Today. September 2016.
Resident Stress and Burnout: Prevalence, Predictors, Prevention, and Intervention
AAOS Now, AAOS. April 2016.
Succeeding in Fellowship Interviews
AAOS Resident’s Newsletter. AAOS. December 2015.
The Human Condition. UCSD School of Medicine. 2009 (14): 24.
Schultzel, M., Tamura AS.
“Sympathy Tears for the General”
The Human Condition. UCSD School of Medicine. 2007 (12): 32-33.
Awards and Recognition
- Eagle Scout Award
- American Orthopedic Association Resident Leadership Award
- Gold Humanism Honor Society
- UCSD Rady School of Management Brandes Scholar