M. Lucius Pomerantz, M.D.
Specialty: Orthopedic Surgery,
Upper Extremity Specialist
Chula Vista Office
955 Lane Ave, Ste 200
Chula Vista, CA 91914
Chula Vista – General Orthopedics
Dr. Pomerantz is an orthopaedic surgeon and upper extremity specialist. His residency training in orthopaedic surgery was at UC San Diego where he was elected chief resident. He went on to train at the prestigious Campbell Clinic in Memphis, TN for his fellowship in Hand/Upper Extremity Surgery and assisted in providing care to the Memphis Redbirds and the University of Memphis athletes. He received his medical degree from Albany Medical College in Albany, NY. He is currently a team physician for the San Diego Gulls hockey team.
He has published research in orthopaedic imaging, the scapular disorders in throwing athletes, biomechanics of the shoulder joint, and complications of surgical treatment of tennis elbow. Additional research includes acute synovial fluid changes in traumatized joints, outcomes of surgery for Dupuytren’s disease, and patient response to corticosteroids for various hand ailments.
He looks forward to providing cutting edge orthopaedic surgical and non-surgical care to all ages and activity levels. His focus will be on care of the entire arm including trauma, sports injuries, joint replacement, nerve compression and repair, all hand ailments such as Dupuytren’s contracture as well as microsurgical procedures.
Dr. Pomerantz was born in Santa Cruz, CA. He played many sports growing up including wrestling, soccer and baseball. He competed as an amateur boxer and professionally in Mixed Martial Arts. He continues to train in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.
University of California at San Diego, San Diego, 2004
- Bachelor of Science, Biology
- Bachelor of Arts, Psychology
Albany Medical College, 2008
- Doctor of Medicine
University of California San Diego, Orthopedic Surgery Residency
- Elected by co-residents Administrative Chief Resident for 2013-2014
- Board Eligible, Passed ABOS Step1 2014
- Volunteer Physician – UCSD Free Community Clinic that provided free orthopaedic care to indigent population of San Diego
Campbell Clinic Fellowship in Hand/Upper Extremity Surgery
- Alpha Omega Alpha Medical Honor Society – Albany Medical College
Albany Medical College Alumni Association
- Class of 1955 Memorial Scholarship: Award for academic good standing.
Albany Medical College
- Commendation for Scholastic Excellence for years 1 and 2.
Commendation for Excellence in Clinical Skills for years 1 and 2.
University of California San Diego
- Graduated Cum Laude, Dean’s List multiple times
- Outstanding Teaching Award for teaching assistants – awarded to teaching assistants according to students’ evaluations.
- Certified intermediate Spanish speaker by Central American Spanish School in Honduras.
- Mixed Martial Arts/Brazilian Jiu Jitsu/Boxing – competed in and won two professional Mixed Martial Arts bouts, amateur boxing, and have participated in many Brazilian Jiu Jitsu competitions.
- Certified Rescue Diver – Professional Associations of Diving Instructors